Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Advent Reflections Week One, Wednesday


God will provide.  For our family in particular these words ring true.  The gaping hole in our hearts and minds is filled this Advent with the memories we shared, making the hole less big giving us room to smile and laugh between the tears. 

Wednesday, December 6, 2000
Isaiah 25:6-10a ~ Psalm 23:1-6 ~ Matthew 15:29-37

“You spread the table before me in the sight of my foes.” Psalm 23:5

In all three Scripture passages today God delivers food in the midst of desperate circumstances.  Israel is divided: the northern kingdom has been conquered and the southern kingdom is threatened. It’s a time of tears and reproach, of death and sorrow. God promises to provide – on the very mountain under threat – “a feast of … juicy rich food and pure, choice wines.” The Good Shepherd, even when we are surrounded by foes, will care for our needs by putting on a spread for us. And, though the disciples thought it “impossible” to feed the crowds that had followed Jesus for three days, Jesus provided more than enough. Comfort from the word: in my desperate situations God will provide. Challenge, also: will I let God use me to provide for others in their desperate situations?

Thank you, Shepherd of my heart, that you give sustenance to my body and my spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment