Sunday, March 6, 2011

A New Role

I woke up to my alarm buzzing at 6am this morning. I am NOTORIOUS for pressing the snooze button. But today I could not press it more than twice. I had to be up and out the door, make sure the kids were settled with their Grammy before I went to go lector at the 7:30am mass at St. Edward the Confessor parish here in Medfield. This is only my second time lectoring. A role that I never really thought about doing but somehow I am now going to be on the regular schedule.

Dad was the lector in the family, not me. A couple of weeks after Dad's death I was looking on the fridge of chaos and tucked away behind a pile of child masterpieces, photos, magnets, and the calender was a schedule for lectors at St. Edward's. Dad was an incredible speaker as many of you know and I think that in my opinion, albeit a biased one, feel that Dad was one of the best lectors out there.

Dad still had two times left to lector on the schedule. It felt weird thinking of someone just taking his spot. I called the church immediately, almost without even thinking, and said that this was David Thorp's daughter and I wanted to take his spot reading on the two dates he had left. They agreed and there I was, on February 5th, reading the scripture passages that Dad was supposed to be reading, standing in the spot Dad was supposed to be standing, receiving the Body and Blood of Christ that Dad was supposed to be receiving. It was hard and very emotional for me but I left feeling a sense of peace and purpose. I think that one of my prayers since Dad's death is this -- Lord, show me how to share of Your Light in the midst of darkness the way Dad did for so many, including me! And how quickly He answers.

Today, wasn't as emotional. Maybe it is because now it felt more like this was my role. It wasn't me "subbing" for Dad anymore. This was now my "job" and am humbled and grateful that I can now carry on this small torch for Dad.

Found this in one of Dad's saved files from 2007. It is a quotation from St. David of Wales. I am reminded by it that we are all called to do the little things... how pleasing those "little things" are in the sight of God. I have to really try to remember that when I am about ready to pull my hair out with the kids and feel I have nothing left to give!

          Be joyful, and keep your faith and your creed.
          Do the little things [Gwnewch y pethau bychain]
          that you have seen me do and heard about.
          I will walk the path that our fathers have trod before us.

          Dewi Sant [St. David of Wales]
          In a sermon the Sunday before he died

2 comments:

  1. This moved me to tears. To some extent I can empathize with that pain - and also of not being able to properly and totally grieve because of your responsibilities to your beautiful girls as you mentioned in your first post. But what a beautiful thing you are doing - I know your Dad is so proud of you and the beautiful person you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine, how special that you are now lecturing. We are very proud of you and I know that Dad is smiling down on you and walking this walk with you.

    God bless you and thank you for writing such a wonderful blog! ooxx

    ReplyDelete