Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Twelve Things to Give Up for Lent

Oh the age old question, "what are you giving up?"  I have been talking about this very thing with my five year old for the last couple of days.  This is the first year I am asking her to think about ways she can sacrifice through Lent.  I found some really great ideas for Lent and kids on Catholic Icing's blog.  I love the idea of the Lent Box.  Although I am not sure if she likes it as much as I do!

I have to say now that I am an adult I don't really like talking about all the things I want or am going to try to give up.  To me, I feel as though it is a private thing really special just between me and the Lord.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think it is a "sin" to talk about but I feel that the "whatcha givin' up?" chat almost makes it feel like a chore and just another thing we have to do...

To read a funny and slightly irreverent article I read in last February's Boston Globe Magazine about this very subject -- the "joys of Lent" -- read this article by Jennifer Graham.  I think it actually makes a good point that even if you are not Christian that a healthy dose of sacrifice can do a person some good.

As much as I don't exactly jump up and down shouting with great excitement to sacrifice some of my favorite things during Lent I know that in the midst of it I am strengthened by it, pruned so to speak, and able to give back with gratitude in a SMALL way for the HUGE way Jesus gave of His life for you and me.

And then there is Dad's list...
I found this tucked away in yet another folder.
If you feel that giving up chocolate is well, a little redundant then take a stab at this list.

Twelve Things to Give Up for Lent 
1. Having to have the last word.
2. Taking those you love for granted.
3. Worrying about things you cannot change or control.
4. Losing your temper.
5. Trying to be a perfectionist.
6. Patronizing people who work for or with you.
7. Complaining.
8. Carrying grudges.
9. Expecting to be bored by any and all sermons.
10. Nagging.
11. Thinking about money.
12. Feeling sorry for yourself.


8 comments:

  1. Great list! So much more helpful and meaningful to do something to better your life emotionally and spiritually than to "give up" a food, treat, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. now that is a list to live by everyday not just lent! I am going to print it out and post it on my fridge :) I never really could understand the 'giving up chocolate' lol xoxo
    ~~Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been good at the 'giving up' stuff and try hard to 'do stuff for others.' However, this year I think I'm going to borrow a couple of David's and see how well I can do!

    Love to you and the family, Marti ooxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an excellent list for *life*. A forty day trial period seems like a good way to ease into it.

    I love that you are sharing your dad's thoughts and writing this way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could not agree more... it is definitely a great list for life Marnie! A very tough list but a good one to strive for!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Complaining. I like that idea, that would help me alot. I mostly do the "traditional" like giving up meat. Your list is so creative, and serves a larger purpose as well. How about "go to the gym everyday during lent." That way our bodies (minds and spirits) can grow even stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Twelve things! Whoa! With all due respect to my dear brother (& I hope he & you will see the humour in this), looks like he wasn't paying attention to #5. I'll try #2, #3 & #12. I'm a lost cause on #11 but will try some other year. And by the way, I'm still giving up chocolate for these reasons - to remind me that I'm not working on #2, #3 & #12; and to remind me that those who work on the cocoa plantations are exploited & I should be doing something about that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Catherine,
    I've been praying since October for a friend suffering in debilitating depression. A few days after your Dad died she told me how she could relate to his struggles and vowed not to let it overcome her. This was the 1st positive step she had taken and today she is up and out and has 'adopted' another person who is suffering. Praise God. He is working through your Dad today as he always did.
    Ron Whinnem

    ReplyDelete