Thursday, December 8, 2011

Advent Reflections, Feast of the Immaculate Conception


This reflection sounds like something from a journal entry of one of our many great saints.   And no, I am not saying Dad is a saint but I do think that all holy men and women struggle.  All people have their moments where they think, "How can this be?"  Dad said he could hear God say in those tough moments, "All I need is your 'yes.'" 
Praying your Advent is filled with lots of yes' as we prepare the way for our Savior. 

Friday, December 8, 20000 ~ Immaculate Conception
Genesis 3:9-15, 20 ~ Psalm 98:1-4 ~ Ephesians 1:3-6, 11-12 ~ Luke 1:26-38

“Mary said to the angel, ‘How can this be since I do not know man?’” Luke 1:34

“How can this be…” How many times have I said that to God?  I have heard God’s promise never to abandon me.  But in the midst of my neglecting God by infrequent prayer or through sin – how can this be…?  I have been taught that God is my strength. But in the midst of painful illness or emotional anguish – how can this be? There are times when I sense God calling me to do something but I feel inadequate to the task: I don’t think I know enough or have enough experience or am holy enough. Or, I am just afraid. It’s easy to say, “How can this be …” Every time I raise the question, God’s answer is the same: “I’ll take care of everything. I’ll supply all you need. Trust me. All I need is your ‘yes.’”

God, for whom nothing is impossible, I give to you the “impossible” situations of my life.

1 comment:

  1. Catherine - Thanks so much for doing this. I really appreciate it. I can hear your dad speaking again. Something I thought I would have to wait a long time for.

    I must take exception with one thing though - as you know, I personally believe your dad is in God's presence now and that makes him a saint. Of course, I always considered your dad a saint in the way that St. Paul refers to all holy men & women and because he was receptive to God's grace in his life and went about proclaiming God's goodness.

    God bless, Catherine.

    Uncle Burnie

    ReplyDelete