Saturday, December 10, 2011

Advent Reflections, Week Two, Saturday


Sirach 48:1-4, 9-11 ~ Psalm 80:2-3, 15-16, 18-19 ~ Matthew 17:10-13

“Like a fire there appeared the prophet Elijah whose words were as a flaming furnace.” Sirach 48:1

My reaction to fire is mixed. On cold December nights I really like the flame in my furnace. It lets me know that the house will be warm. I like the flame in my fireplace: it provides a special illumination in our family room. These flames make our life more comfortable. Fire can also make things quite uncomfortable. It can burn and destroy. It is used to refine out impurities in metals. It’s light can expose things that are hidden in the dark. Prophets like Elijah and John the Baptist – fire in God’s hands – illumine the way to God. But they also shine a light on aspects of my life I would prefer to keep hidden. They comfort me with the promises of God but also challenge me with God’s righteousness. No wonder my reaction to prophets is also mixed.

God, let the fire of your word, burn in my mind and heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment