Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Advent Reflections, Week Three, Wednesday


Wednesday, December 20, 2000
Isaiah 7:10-14 ~ Psalm 24:1-6 ~ Luke 1:26-38

“Mary said, ‘I am the maidservant of the Lord. Let it be done as you say.’” Luke 1:38

The word translated “maidservant” is used in masculine form of Jesus, with whom Mary becomes pregnant when she utters this fiat. St. Paul uses it often, referring to himself. A stronger translation, challenging me to shake off spiritual lethargy, is “slave.” Influenced by novels and television programs, I think of servants as those who agree to give a certain amount of time to a master for an agreed sum of money. Within the agreed time they are at the disposal of the master. Outside that time and in the servants’ quarters, they are free to do as they wish. That’s how I serve God, preserving a certain amount of freedom and self-determination. Mary – and Jesus and Paul – say: “I want you, God, to have all of me all of the time. I’ll be a slave. Then I will be free.”

Father, like Mary and Jesus and Paul, I want to say a complete “Yes” to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment