Friday, December 9, 2011

Advent Reflections, Week two, Friday

"Jesus wants [the church] to be a hospital for sinners."
How easily I forget this too Dad!
Fr. Frank DeSiano recently flew to Boston to give a talk at the Memorial Lecture in honor of Dad hosted by Holy Family Parish in Concord, MA. The talk he gave was to say the least amazing!  He too encouraged us to see people through Christ's eyes -- with mercy and understanding.  He asked us if we should change the hymn, "All are welcome," to "Some are welcome?" I was really struck by this and gave me much to chew on. By example and by mercy hearts will be converted and lives will change -- people will walk in sinners and walk out saints (so to speak).

Friday, December 15, 2000
Isaiah 48:17-19 ~ Psalm 1:1-4, 6 ~ Matthew 11:16-19

“The Son of Man appeared eating and drinking, and they say, ‘This one is a glutton and drunkard, a lover of tax collectors and those outside the law.’” Matthew 11:15

The charge against Jesus is half-right. Jesus would readily accept the charge that he is a lover of sinners and, I think, would even delight in others noticing that he was. He shows a special affection for those who have wandered away. While I try to stay away from those whom I regard as sinners, it seems that Jesus goes out of his way to spend time with them. I want to make the church into a sanctuary for saints; Jesus wants it to be a hospital for sinners. I can easily speak about sinners with scorn; Jesus makes them “heroes” in his stories. Jesus does not condemn sinners but shows them a gift of mercy. I want others to earn my pardon; I find it difficult to adopt an attitude of forgiveness. 

Lord of mercy, I desire to learn how to become a lover of sinners.

No comments:

Post a Comment